Monday, May 5, 2008

Creative writing assignment!

In class today we were told that our topic this term is creative writing. A picture was projected up onto the smart board of a young man in a bmx competition. He was half in the air and their was a crowd of people below him cheering. The assignment was to write a piece of creative writing using the picture as a visual starting point. Here, this is what I came up with:

The wind rushes past my face and slides across my skin like water over sand and in one moment I am detached from the rest of the world. I no longer notice the roaring cheer of the crowd. My feet are moving on the petals and I am performing my trick without even thinking of it. When I am riding I am free. Free from all the dismal feelings of the world, From the dramas and grievances it can create, From the feelings which portray the memories of my past life that makes me who I am today. Sickness seems to be less susceptible to me, War doesn’t exist where I am, drugs don’t corrupt so many people, the environment still contains the beauties it did decades ago and my family isn’t screwed up like it is now. All hopeful of these are just hopes and figments of my imagination because when I'm in this place, when I'm riding anything is possible. So even though I know at some point ill have to come rushing back to reality, I still close my eyes and hope that when I pull the brake and land my bike on the pavement all the horrors will be gone. Only the genuinely kind people will exist.


Every time I land (even if it isn't a landing of particularly good quality)it brings me back down to earth. That is why I ride,to escape the rest of the world. To get a chance to dream what is just not possible when I'm not riding. As I begin landing the cheers of the crowd below me break through the barrier of my imagination. Although only a few minutes past while I completed my ride (and only a few seconds while I was in the air) by the time I had landed it felt as though I had spent a life time in the air or on that bike. It was a great ride but a mediocre trick and I didnt win the competition. None of that matters though. As I took my bike of the track a smile spread across my face. I wouldnt give up rideing for the world.

Just my first attepmt at creative writing. It will get better, I promise.Well I hope!

{E}{R{{I}{C}{A}





No comments: